Friday, February 20, 2009

Repotting Annuals

100_5122

I had no idea repotting seedlings was so delicate. I looked at the full seed tray and thought "Now how do I get those tiny things into these bigger pots without killing them?" So I made a decision, cut the trays. I don't know if that's what you're supposed to do. Since I've never actually witnessed someone repotting seedlings I just did what I thought was right. If I'm right, yeah me! If not, please tell me what you're supposed to do.

Like I've said before I'm very new at this. Thankfully most of my seedlings are growing, rapidly, and surviving being outside most nights. I'm trying to toughen them up, and learn what they can tolerate at the same time. So far, no casualties.

I repotted my carrots in a wide deep pot usually used for bulb planting. My allotment is too shallow for really deep rooted vegetables so the pot is the perfect depth and width. If I haven't killed the seedlings during transplanting, I should have quite a few carrots to harvest. I'm going to plant them in succession to try and get continual harvesting. If the seedlings don't make it I'll just sow seeds directly in the pot to avoid root disturbance.

March is going to be a busy month for me. I have a tray full of seeds just waiting to be started. I'm going by what the packages say. I'm still too inexperienced to be that adventurous. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: